Welcome to MSG Free Meals

I made this blog for the many people who have asked me, "What can you eat!?" If you are looking for something particular check out the labels list or you can just browse through the archives. Feel free to ask me any questions and leave comments!

What Is Sarah Doing...

Friday, February 20, 2009

Dinner - Lentil Bean Soup

One of my children's favorite meals is lentil bean soup!

What you need:
  • Chicken broth-use leftover from boiling chicken
  • 1 pound bag lentil beans

Optional items:

  • Box frozen spinach
  • Carrots
  • Onion
  • Tomato
  • Salsa
  • Garlic cloves or Garlic powder
  • Salt
  • Pepper

What to do:

  1. Take leftover chicken broth and put it in the crockpot first then add a bag lentil beans(rinse the beans first).
  2. Add any of the following items to your soup:
  • I always add a box of frozen spinach (thaw in microwave)
  • Raw carrots - I peel them and then cut them into pieces. The kids thought it was fun when I left them large. I cut one large carrot into thirds.
  • Onion - frozen already chopped is easy(GFS sells a big bag of frozen onions). I also have sliced a onion into the soup, which made for lots of flavor when you got a whole slice
  • Tomato - home canned are the best!
  • Jar of salsa - we prefer mild salsa
  • Garlic - garlic cloves or garlic powder

3. After you've added everything fill the rest of the crock pot with water. I cook the soup all day in the crock pot. I keep it on high until it has been simmering for awhile, then turn it down to low. Season with a generous amount of salt before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment