Welcome to MSG Free Meals

I made this blog for the many people who have asked me, "What can you eat!?" If you are looking for something particular check out the labels list or you can just browse through the archives. Feel free to ask me any questions and leave comments!

What Is Sarah Doing...

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Latex-fruit Syndrome

Until last week, I never knew there was such a thing as Latex-fruit syndrome! I was looking up banana allergy when I came across Latex-fruit syndrome.
My 7 month old son, Josiah, reacts with a bad rash and sometimes even hives to banana, avocado and apples. I have not confirmed whether or not he is for sure alleric to store bought organic brown rice baby cereal and sweet potato. The only foods I've found that he defenitely is not reacting to are home made organic brown rice cereal and organic pears! I'm going to try adding squash to his diet this week and see how that goes. If anyone has more information on this syndrome please let me know! Thanks!


The following information on Latex-fruit syndrome can be found at this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latex_allergy

Latex and Foods
Some people who have latex allergy may also have an allergic response to any of a number of plant products, usually fruits. This is known as the latex-fruit syndrome.[5] Fruits (and seeds) involved in this syndrome include banana, pineapple, avocado, chestnut, kiwi fruit, mango, passionfruit, strawberry, and soy. Some but not all of these fruits contain a form of latex. The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America estimates that nearly 6 percent of the United States population have some type of food allergy and up to 4 percent have an allergy to latex.[6] It can also cause reactions from foods touched by latex products in the most severe cases. There are some known cases of latex allergies being provoked from genetically modified foods such as tomatoes with latex proteins.[citation needed]
Some individuals who are highly allergic to latex have had allergic reactions to foods that were handled or prepared by people wearing latex gloves.[citation needed]

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your cogent thoughts on latex allergy; this is an important and often overlooked issue, and I found your words provocative and insightful.

    The organization I work for, the Pacific Northwest Foundation, is devoted to researching alternative modes of healing for a variety of illnesses, including latex allergy. I wanted to share with you a video presentation of a case study we conducted some years ago about a woman with severe latex allergy who, through a variety of methods, was able to diminish her reactivity. The link to the presentation is http://pnf.org/html/anna_s_case.html.

    I'd like to thank you so much for your contribution to the subject of latex allergy, and hope you will find the case study above helpful in your continued exploration into the subject.

    ReplyDelete